Eddie Alvarez has one more fight left on his contract and the former Bellator lightweight champion has said that he is preparing for his next fight.
Starting to get packed up today ,me and my family will be driving to Florida to begin Preparingfor Oct 15vs TBA!!!! I’ll keep you posted
— Edward Alvarez (@Ealvarezfight) July 25, 2012
Alvarez’s next fight will be a non tournament bout and Rebney recently said that the fighter’s contract ends late in the fall. Bellator continues to work with Alvarez on a new contract and the fighter plans to talk to the organization about a new contract after his next fight.
He was the Bellator lightweight champion for over two years and lost the title last year to current champion Michael Chandler at Bellator 58. He returned to the Bellator cage in April against Shinya Aoki in a rematch of their fight back in 2008. Alvarez won the rematch with a TKO in the first round and made the statement to Rebney of “show me the money.”
After his win over Aoki, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta sent a message to Alvarez on Twitter introducing himself, which began speculation of the UFC attempting to get him to join them.
When Alvarez does become a free agent, Bellator will have the right to match any offer that he receives per his contract. This is the same situation that Hector Lombard went through when the UFC made their contract offer, which Bellator elected to not match the offer.