UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos wants to fight Alistair Overeem after the former Strikeforce champion made comments that the champion is afraid to fight him.
Overeem appeared on UFC Tonight on FUEL TV last night and did not back off his statements that Dos Santos is afraid to fight him. He also said that he believes that Dos Santos is not expecting a fight with him to happen.
“It’s very simple,” Overeem said. “I think he is afraid of me. He is afraid to fight me. I think he was happy the last fight on My 26th did not happen.”
Overeem can not re-apply for a fighters license with the Nevada State Athletic Commission until the end of December because of a failed drug test earlier this year.
The fighter has been taking steps to prove to the NSAC that he is a clean fighter and is not on performance enhancing drugs.
“Me and my management have a good relationship with the UFC and the (NSAC) commission,” Overeem said. “We are taking steps necessary and following all the rules, so I don’t expect any problems when I reappear in front of the commission to get my license for my next fight.”
UFC President Dana White told the media on Saturday night that Dos Santos wants to fight Overeem, but Velasquez is scheduled to be the next guy in line for a title shot. The Velasquez camp doesn’t know what is really going on, but they believe that their fighter should get the next title shot.
Dos Santos wrote on Twitter that he will fight anyone the UFC puts in front of him. With the future of Overeem unclear at this moment, it makes the most sense for Dos Santos to defend his title later this year against Velasquez. Then if he beats Velasquez, have him face Overeem early in 2013.