Alexander Shlemenko vs. Tito Ortiz is now official for Bellator 120

Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko issued a challenge to Tito Ortiz last week for the inaugural Bellator pay-per-view and the fight is now official for the May 17th card. Shlemenko

The fight booking was officially announced by Bellator on Friday afternoon and they will fight at light heavyweight.

Bellator 120 will come from the Landers Center in Southaven, Mississippi and will be headlined by Eddie Alvarez defending the Bellator lightweight title against Michael Chandler.

“Shlemenko’s one of MMA’s greatest champions, he’s riding a 13 fight win streak and he’s got an incredible level of confidence he can beat anyone in the world. When I saw the immediate fan response following the callout, I knew this was a fight I wanted to make provided we received commission approval,” Bellator Chairman & CEO Bjorn Rebney said. “Of the thousands of opinions that came out when this was announced, half think Alexander destroys him and half think Tito does the same. This will be a great fight.”

Shlemenko (50-7) is coming off a submission victory at Bellator 114 and it was his eighth straight win to take place in Bellator. He currently holds the record for most wins in Bellator (12) and has only lost once inside the Bellator cage.

“Tito Ortiz says he is healthy and he wants to fight. So now he has a fight. Me,” Shlemenko said. “I will fight Tito, and I will beat him. I have a great respect for Tito Ortiz, but I have wanted to fight Tito for a long time, and this is my chance. I am moving up to light heavyweight for this fight, and I will win. When I am done with Tito, I will continue to defend my middleweight belt in Bellator.”

Ortiz (16-11-1) was recently cleared by doctors to take a fight after an injury kept him out of his Bellator debut last year. He is currently on a three fight losing streak and is 1-6-1 in his last eight fights.

“This fight really came out of nowhere and it took me by surprise, but it took me about three seconds to accept the fight,” Ortiz said. “I’m healthy, I feel great, and I’m ready to do this. I knew I wasn’t going to get any easy fights in Bellator, it’s never what I wanted, and they delivered with a great fight for May 17th. Shlemenko is a tough guy, he’s the Middleweight Champion, but he’s fighting at my weight class, the weight class where I have beaten some of the best in the world, and it’s going to be a very bad night for him.”

The current Bellator 120: Alvarez vs. Chandler III card is below.

Eddie Alvarez (25-3) vs. Michael Chandler (12-1)
Quinton Jackson (34-11) vs. Muhammed Lawal (12-3, 1NC)
Alexander Shlemenko (50-7) vs. Tito Ortiz (16-11-1)
Will Brooks (13-1) vs. Nate Jolly (13-5)

This entry was posted in Alexander Shlemenko, Bellator 117, Tito Ortiz. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Alexander Shlemenko vs. Tito Ortiz is now official for Bellator 120

1. Anonymous says:

Fuck that has beens for ppv put it on spike for free

• Anonymous says:

Definitely not on strikeforces level of talent maybe an H.B.O./Showitme deal and I wouldn’t order the extra channels for a bellator card, They’ll make some money yes but they may lose some fans im not too happy 2 of the best lightweight fights ive seen between the same for free now you want me 2 pay 50+ to see the rubber match.FACT that Rampage is over the hill and king mo is just overrated,TITO Makes Liddel’s final fights almost justified hang it up “Peoples Champ” your making a mockery of the sport you shouldn’t even be headlining a Legacy or RFA EVENT

2. You best protect yo neck says:

Neck fracture in 3… 2… 1…

3. Anonymous says:

Tito is a bit old he won’t win

4. mackojr says:

$100 says Tito will eother pull out of the fight or after he gets his ass kicked he’ll go right to the “I fractured my skull in camp’ or some shit like that. Tito is a jump. Can’t stand the guy! His UFC title rain l he fought all chumps.

5. [email protected] says:

Tito is a truck always has been always will be 16-11and he continues to get title fights for what cause he was married to Jenna

6. s. mcd says:

I honestly feel that ortiz does not deserve this shot by any means. He has only won 1 out of his last 8 fights…how does that get you a fight with the champ? Everyone knows he is going to be destroyed inside the octagon, whether he stands up or tries to take it to the ground. Ultimately Tito*s career is definately on a downward spiral and Tito should retire before he shatters the remainder of his career.

7. s. mcd says:

However if retirement isn’t an option for you Tito, you could always just…..”Fracture your neck”. Then that way you could always say how you were able to save your opponent the total destruction that is Tito Ortiz….which basically means Tito’s dementia is in full swing again. But lets not be to hard on Tito, afterall the A.A.R.P. application can take a lot out of you. However lets speak the truth ..which is that we are all truely jealous of Tito’s ability to hold a contract with Bellator especially with a recent professional record of 1-8-1…All I know is with a record like that..all I can say is “well deserved title shot” ..Skies the limit Mr.Ortiz!

8. Nick Allen says:

You suck Tito last fight u won was against Jenna and the HB cops said that could have went either way

9. annoyamous says:

Some of you need to learn how to read. This isnt a title fight. Schlemenko is moving up in weight to fight. I think tito will make an excuse and not fight.