Benson Henderson lost the UFC lightweight title last week at UFC 164 against Anthony Pettis by armbar in the first round and there were concerns that he injured his elbow in the fight.
After seeing an elbow specialist in Henderson, the former lightweight champion received good news as the doctor informed him there was no structural damage to his elbow.
Henderson received the good news from elbow specialist Dr. Brian Shafer in Phoenix today.
The UFC fighter released a statement through his management team on Friday night which he stated he will take things slow when getting back into training.
“My elbow isn’t going to be an issue,” Henderson said in a statement. “Dr. Shafer said I can resume training immediately, but to take it slow and steady for a couple of weeks and do my rehab work. Of course I am anxious to get going full speed again but I will be smart and patient about it as well. I want to thank my hardcore fans for their awesome support, not just in the past week, but throughout my career. I can be better. I will be better.”
At this time, there is not a timetable set for when Henderson could return to action. Earlier this week, his manager Malki Kawa told MMAFighting.com that he would like to see Henderson get a top UFC lightweight in his next fight in the organization.