Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva fails post fight drug test and has been suspended nine month

Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva failed his post fight drug test at UFC Fight Night 33 in Australia and has been suspended nine months by the UFC. UFC Fight Night 33

The UFC announced the results of the UFC Fight Night 33 drug test results on Wednesday.

According to a statement released by the UFC, Silva had been granted a therapeutic use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy, but his testosterone level was higher than the allowed limit in his post fight drug test.

“All fighters on the UFC Fight Night card were drug tested by an independent third-party laboratory at the event and all fighters passed their drug tests with the exception of Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva,” the UFC said in a statement. “Although Silva is on a medically approved regimen of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), and had been in compliance with therapeutic guidelines on all pre-fight tests performed prior to the event, the results of his test on the day of the event indicated a level of testosterone outside of allowable limit.”

“Silva has been informed that the elevated testosterone level is a violation of the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy and his Promotional Agreement with Zuffa.  He will receive a nine month suspension retroactive to the date of the event and he must pass a drug test upon completion of the suspension before receiving clearance to compete again. Additionally, he will forfeit $50,000 in bonus money. The forfeited bonus will go to his opponent Mark Hunt.”

Following the news of his failed drug test, Silva issued a statement on his use of testosterone replacement therapy and stated he “never tried doing anything wrong” for his fight against Hunt.

“Months before my fight I looked for the UFC doctor Marcio Tannure in Brazil so I could start the hormonal replacement “TRT” which was authorized and recognized by a professional,” Silva said on Facebook. “I started the treatment and 2 weeks before my fight I did all the exams required by the UFC.”

“My testosterone level continued to be low so I was recommended by the doctor to increase the dosage. Unfortunately my level increased too much and caused me to suspend. I only did what was recommended by someone trained who understands about the subject therefore it was not my mistake. I’m cool because I know that the mistake was not made by me, I never tried doing anything wrong for my fight.”

This is the second time that Silva has failed his post fight drug test, as his first failed drug test came back in 2008. He tested positive for the steroid boldenone following his TKO win over Justin Eilers at an Elite XC event in California. He received a one year suspension from the Califnornia State Athletic Commission and was fined $2,500.